Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

San Francisco

>

San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge Firehouse, Adjacent to north side of bridge on Yerba Buena Is, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA



See 18 maps of this location


B&W Photos


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Adjacent to north side of bridge on Yerba Buena Is, San Francisco, CA

Find maps of San Francisco, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER CA-230
Building/structure dates: 1936 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
Significance: This modest, utilitarian structure was built (1936-1937) as an integral part of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, a property which has previously been determined eligible for National Register listing under criteria A, B, and C. Although the building is shown as a "Service Garage" on the original construction drawings, it is labeled "firehouse" on several later sets of plans, indicating that it once housed one or more fire trucks servicing the bridge (and possibly also other properties on Yerba Buena Island). The building includes a locker room and office in addition to the vehicle storage area. As a facility which was designed and built to serve the Bay Bridge and its maintenance workers, this building is a contributing component of the National Register eligible bridge and it is significant for its association with that prominent accomplishment in civil engineering. Although it was enlarged in the mid-1960's and the original garage doors have been removed, the building retains its close functional association with the Bay Bridge and sufficient integrity to be eligible for National Register listing as a contributing element of the bridge.

Related Names
Pflueger, Timothy L.
Brown, Arthur
Donovan, John J.
Hill, Dennis, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to San Francisco, California