Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

San Francisco

>

Presidio of San Francisco, World War II Mobilization Buildings Area B, West End of Crissy Field, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA



Drawings


Item Title


Location
West End of Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA

Find maps of San Francisco, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2671
Building/structure dates: 1941 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1995 demolished
National Register Number: 66000232
Significance: These 19 buildings (buildings 901-919) were built in late 1940 and early 1941 as mobilization buildings, preparatory to the United States' anticpated entry into World War II. In design, they closely adhered to the 700 series standard plans devised by Colonel Charles D. Hartman of the U.S. Army's Quartermaster Corps and his staff during the late 1930s. These plans were designed so that an army base consisting of many buildings of diverse functions could be built quickly and inexpensively, using local materials, while also providing a certain degree of comfort to the soldiers who lived in and used these buildings. These plans were implemented at army bases across the country shortly before and during the war, and large numbers of these buildings, which were intended to be temporary, still exist in northern California and across the United States. During the early years of the war, the buildings at Area B of the Presidio contributed to the army's mobilization effort, and from 1945 to 1947 they housed the Hospital Train Unit of Letterman Hospital, which transferred thousands of returning soldiers to inland hospitals. Although the interiors of these buildings were altered after World War II to adapt them for a variety of uses, the exteriors are largely intact. The site where they stand was originally the west end of Crissy Field, an early air field developed by the Army during the 1920s. The buildings are contributing structures to the Presidio of San Francisco National Historic Landmark District.

Related Names
Hartman, Col. Charles D.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to San Francisco, California