Presidio of San Francisco, Letterman General Hospital, Building No. 12, Letterman Hospital Complex, Edie Road, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Edie Road, San Francisco, CA
Find maps of San Francisco, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2634
National Register Number: 66000232
Significance: Building 1049 is significant as an element built in conformance with the 1899 pavilion plan of Letterman Hospital and as a rare and exemplary surviving example of a ward pavilion in the United States. Originally with a bakery downstairs and ward upstairs, it is an unusual example of a mixed-use building whose orderly, symmetrical external appearance belies its diverse functions. Historically, building 1049 is significant as part of the build-up of Letterman Hospital in World War I. In the context of the hospital as a whole, it is associated with Letterman's leading role as an Army hospital in the United States in World War I, between the wars, and during and after World War II. Building 1049 is a contributing structure to the Presidio of San Francisco National Historic Landmark district.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH SIDE OF BUILDING 1049 SHOWING INTERSECTION OF VERANDAS.
2. BUILDING 1049, WEST ENTRY WITH REMAINING PORTION OF VERANDA (CORRIDOR 3) ON RIGHT.
3. BUILDING 1049, STAIRCASE ON WEST SIDE.
4. BUILDING 1049, WEST SIDE.
5. BUILDING 1049, NORTH AND EAST SIDES.
6. BUILDING 1049, NORTH SIDE.
7. BUILDING 1049, EAST SIDE.
8. VIEW FROM BUILDING 1049 LOOKING SOUTH ALONG VERANDA (CORRIDOR A).
9. VIEW UNDER VERANDA (CORRIDOR A) LOOKING SOUTH.
10. VERANDA (CORRIDOR 3) THAT CONNECTS BUILDINGS 1006 AND 1049, LOOKING EAST.
11. BUILDING 1049, CENTRAL SPACE, FORMER BAKERY, ON FIRST FLOOR.
12. BUILDING 1049, WINDOW ON FIRST FLOOR.
13. BUILDING 1049, FIRST FLOOR INTERIOR ON NORTH END OF BUILDING.
14. BUILDING 1049, SECOND FLOOR HALLWAY LOOKING NORTH INTO WARD.
15. BUILDING 1049, SECOND FLOOR HALLWAY LOOK SOUTH FROM WARD.
16. BUILDING 1049, SECOND FLOOR WARD WITH CUBICLE ADDITIONS.
17. BUILDING 1049, TOILET ROOM ON SECOND FLOOR.
18. BUILDING 1049, CEILING VENT REGISTER.
19. First and Second Floors. Ward 'K', Letterman General Hospital, Presidio of San Francisco, Cal. Sheet No. 1. May 1917. BUILDING 1049.
20. West Elevation and Section, Ward 'K', Letterman General Hospital, Presidio of San Francisco, Cal. Sheet No. 2. May 1917. BUILDING 1049.
21. Post Engineer Office, Presidio of San Francisco, Letterman Army Hospital. EKG Cardiology Clinic, Building 1049. December 1955. BUILDING 1049.
22. Post Engineer Office, Presidio of San Francisco, Building # 1049 Letterman General Hospital. Alterations to EKG Cardiology Clinic. November 1963. BUILDING 1049.
Back to San Francisco, California