Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

San Francisco

>

Presidio of San Francisco, District Engineer's Shops & Yard, Bounded by Marine Drive (on North & East), Lieuten, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA



Data Pages
No images were found.

Item Title
Presidio of San Francisco, District Engineer's Shops & Yard, Bounded by Marine Drive (on North & East), Lieuten, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA

Location
Lieuten, San Francisco, CA

Find maps of San Francisco, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2673
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000232
Significance: From a single warehouse built in 1926, this part of the Presidio of San Francisco was transformed in 1942 into the District Engineer's shops and yards, the construction yard for the San Francisco District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. With the beginning of World War II, the construction duties of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers were greatly expanded, and compounds of shop buildings such as this one became an important part of the war effort. From 1950 to the present, the Post Engineer and his staff have been located in this compound of buildings. Consisting of plumbing, electrical, carpentry, welding, sheet metal, paint, sign making, glass cutting, and entomology shops, plus a warehouse and offices, the Post Engineering complex provided a wide range of services which were necessary for the maintenance and operation of the Presidio. The staff of the Post Engineer has been responsible for building and altering buildings and performing thousands of repair jobs each year in the Presidio of San Francisco since December 1941, and have been located in this compound since 1950. The six buildings in the complex which contribute to the Presidio's National Historic Landmark district are all utilitarian in appearance, with gable roofs, and exterior cladding of corrugated iron, horizontal wood siding, or asbestos shingles. The paint scheme of white walls with red composition roofs is constant throughout the complex. The oldest building, 283, was built in 1926 as a warehouse and is also the largest building in the compound. Buildings 280, 284, 285, and 288 were built during 1942-1944, and their original purpose is not known. The other contributing building, 282, was built ca. 1952-1953, and with the other buildings, represents the consolidation of Post Engineering activities in one location after 1950.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to San Francisco, California