Pier 16 & Bulkhead Building, Howard Street, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Howard Street, San Francisco, CA
Find maps of San Francisco, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-5
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1960 demolished
Significance: Pier 16 and Bulkhead were last remaining structures of a unified complex of Mission Revival style pier front and bulkhead buildings dating to the early 20th century. The structures were among the best of several remaining pier fronts in San Francisco which show the influence of the Mission Revival. Structures also significant in San Francisco maritime history.
War (World War II)
Port Of San Francisco
Brown, A. Page
Young, Charles Newton
Pacific Steamship Company
Pyle, A. A.
Charles Hall Page & Associates Incorporated, Field Team
Buchanan, Craig, Photographer
Olmsted, Roger R., Historian
Olmsted, Nancy, Historian
Pastron, Dr. Allen, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View of front facade, pier shed and bulkhead extension, looking east.
2. View of front facade of pier shed, looking east.
3. West (front) facade, looking southeast.
4. View of west (front) facade, entrance and sign detail.
5. View of front facade of bulkhead extension, looking east.
6. View of north facade, bulkhead building and pier shed.
7. East end of north facade, looking west.
8. View of south facade, bulkhead extension (foreground) and pier shed.
9. East (rear) facade, looking south.
10. East (rear) facade, looking north.
11. Interior view, west (front) wall.
12. Interior view, east wall.
13. Interior view, looking east-southeast.
14. Interior view, looking west (to the front).
15. Interior view, looking west (to the front).
16. Interior view, looking west (to the front).
17. Interior view, metal shop.
18. Interior view, forge.
19. Interior view, east wall, clerestory, and roof.
20. Interior view, roof truss detail.
21. Original plans; plan of Piers 16, 18, and 20 showing bulkhead connection, side elevation showing pilings and seawall, east (outer) elevation with pilings.
22. Original plans; front (west) elevation including portion of bulkhead extension.
23. Original plans; framing elevation of inside of front wall of Pier 18 (Pier 16 similar).
24. Original plans; front elevation, Piers 16 - 20, and framing detail, Pier 20.
25. Original plans; elevation of east (outer/rear) end of shed.
26. Original plans; sections showing wall, concrete extension, pilings, and bulkhead wharf.
27. Original plans; construction details.
Back to San Francisco, California