Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Redding

>

City Hall, 1313 Market Street, Redding, Shasta County, CA



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB110129
North And West (main) Elevations

HB110130
Straight On View Of West Elevation

HB110131
Oblique View Of West Elevation


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1313 Market Street, Redding, CA

Find maps of Redding, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2252
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-194).
Building/structure dates: 1907 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1961 subsequent work
Significance: Gary Wirth, a California registered architect, has studied the building and classified it as a fine example of Modified Romanesque Revival. Vertical brick pilasters and horizontal corbelling bands are softened by semi-circular arched windows on all four elevations. The stepped brick corbelling at the cornice adds an interesting visual rhythm and defines the top of the exterior wall planes. The original corner cupola will be restored so that it can once again add the kind of visual relationship and importance the northwest corner of the structure had to its site. The cupola was surmounted by a little corona of fancy ironwork and a flag stand. This particular architectural style was characteristic of many buildings in Redding in the late 1800's. Presently, the building is the fourth oldest brick structure in the town and is the oldest building associated with the City government since Redding's incorporation in 1887. In the past, there have been some minor interior and exterior modifications to accommodate the growth of the City offices; however, these alterations have not detracted from the building's original architectural charm, including its scale, materials, colors, textures, shades and shadows. The vine-covered north wall is an important landscape feature. The vine, (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia), was planted in 1910 and has contributed to making the building a landmark. The fact that the vine changes with the seasons adds distinction and diversity to the red brick structure. It should be noted that there is a great deal of public sentiment in support of maintaining the vine on the building. The palm trees in front of the building are regionally significant. In the early 1900.s, southbound travelers would ceremoniously stop and photograph the palms because they provided a stark contrast against the native Northern California vegetation.

Related Names
Herran, M. W.
Stephens, William


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. North and west (main) elevations
2. Straight on view of west elevation
3. Oblique view of west elevation


Back to Redding, California