Vista del Arroyo Hotel, Hamilton Bungalow, 125 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, Los Angeles County, CA
See 39 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
125 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, CA
Find maps of Pasadena, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2184-E
Building/structure dates: 1926 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1974 subsequent work
Significance: The Vista del Arroyo bungalows are significant as an integral part of the hotel complex, of which the main building is the centerpiece. Historically, the hotel-bungalow idea, originated in Pasadena by D.M. Linnard, spread throughout southern California, and the Vista del Arroyo remains as a fine example of this concept. In addition, the association with D.M. Linnard, a leading figure in the history of the hotel business in California (at one time or another he owned or managed the Green, the Raymond, the Maryland, the Huntington, the Vista in Pasadena, the Fairmont in San Francisco, the Samarkand, the Arlington and El Encanto in Santa Barbara and the Coronado in San Diego), makes the Vista and its bungalows a significant site. The Hamilton Bungalow represents the work of one of California's significant architectural firms of the period, Marston & Van Pelt. These two architects, along with a third planner, Edgar W. Maybury, were responsible for the design of several of the bungalows. Marston, Van Pelt & Maybury were nationally recognized as excellent purveyors of the Spanish Colonial Revival and Mediterranean styles. Their work includes residential, commercial and church buildings in the Pasadena area, in addition to civic structures such as the Claremont Public Library.
Marston & Van Pelt, Architects
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FACING WEST
DETAIL OF UPPER LEVEL, SOUTHEAST CORNER
INTERIOR VIEW OF NORTHEAST ROOM, LOOKING NORTHEAST
Back to Pasadena, California