Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

California

>

Pasadena

>

Vista del Arroyo Hotel, Bungalow No. 3, 125 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, Los Angeles County, CA



See 39 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB141882

HB141883

HB141884

HB141885

HB141886

HB141887

HB141888


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Vista del Arroyo Hotel, Bungalow No. 3, 125 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, Los Angeles County, CA

Location
125 South Grand Avenue, Pasadena, CA

Find maps of Pasadena, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2184-F
Building/structure dates: 1928 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1974 subsequent work
Significance: The Vista del Arroyo bungalows are significant as an integral part of the hotel complex, of which the main building is the centerpiece. Historically, the hotel-bungalow idea, originated in Pasadena by D.M. Linnard, spread throughout southern California, and the Vista del Arroyo remains as a fine example of this concept. In addition, the association with D.M. Linnard, a leading figure in the history of the hotel business in California (at one time or another he owned or managed the Green, the Raymond, the Maryland, the Huntington, the Vista in Pasadena, the Fairmont in San Francisco, the Samarkand, the Arlington and El Encanto in Santa Barbara and the Coronado in San Diego), makes the Vista and its bungalows a significant site. Bungalow 3 represents the work of one of California's significant architectural firms of the period, Marston & Maybury. These two architects, along with a third partner, Mr. Van Pelt, were responsible for the design of several of the bungalows. Marston, Van Pelt & Maybury were nationally recognized as excellent purveyors of the Spanish Colonial Revival and Mediterranean styles. Their work includes residential, commercial and church buildings in the Pasadena area, in addition to civic structures such as the Claremont Public Library.

Related Names
Marston & Mayberry


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
EAST FRONT
WEST BACK
DETAIL OF TERRACES AT SOUTHWEST CORNER
INTERIOR VIEW OF NORTHWEST ROOM, UPPER FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTH
INTERIOR VIEW OF SOUTHWEST GLAZED TERRACE, UPPER FLOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST
INTERIOR VIEW OF SOUTH KITCHEN, LOWER FLOOR
INTERIOR VIEW OF NORTHWEST ROOM, LOWER FLOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST


Back to Pasadena, California