Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Ontario

>

First Nazarene Church of Ontario, 126 East C Street, Ontario, San Bernardino County, CA



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB142885
BWPhotos 047262

HB142886
BWPhotos 047263

HB142887
BWPhotos 047264

HB142888
BWPhotos 047265

HB142889
BWPhotos 047266

HB142890
BWPhotos 047267

HB142891
BWPhotos 047268

HB142892
BWPhotos 047269

HB142893
BWPhotos 047270

HB142894
BWPhotos 047271

HB142895
BWPhotos 047272

HB142896
BWPhotos 047273

HB142897
BWPhotos 047274

HB142898
BWPhotos 047275


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
126 East C Street, Ontario, CA

Find maps of Ontario, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2343
Significance: Like many other early Southern California towns, in Ontario, California churches were very important in establishing a sense of community. Most of Ontario's early churches were built on corners in the center of town and became landmarks in the community. The First Church of the Nazarene is one of Ontario's landmarks. It was the second home for the church having replaced a temporary wooden structure on West "C" Street. The church represents one of the best examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the city. The windows in the church are also significant. The glass, particularly the several shades of green, and design are very compatible with the concrete block and simple lines of the Gothic Revival architecture. The church building served one of the large church populations in Ontario from 1908 until 1968. The denomination now worships on Fifth Street in Upland. The parsonage for the church was built behind the church with similar block architecture in 1910. Both buildings occupied a prominent corner in Ontario. From 1968 until 1972 several other denominations such as Christ Fellowship Foundation worshiped in the church. In 1972 The Gallery Theatre Group of Upland, California converted the church, parsonage, and classroom building to community theater use. The company of players, active from 1967-89 has had many players go on to show business careers.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Ontario, California