Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Oakland

>

Tucker Building, 1516 Jefferson Street & 595 Sixteenth Street, Oakland, Alameda County, CA



B&W Photos

HB155367
BWPhotos 323934

HB155368
BWPhotos 323935

HB155369
BWPhotos 323936

HB155370
BWPhotos 323937

HB155371
BWPhotos 323938

HB155372
BWPhotos 323939

HB155373
BWPhotos 323940

HB155374
BWPhotos 323941

HB155375
BWPhotos 323942

HB155376
BWPhotos 323943


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1516 Jefferson Street & 595 Sixteenth Street, Oakland, CA

Find maps of Oakland, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2645
Building/structure dates: 1924 initial construction
Significance: This building is a contributing structure to the Oakland Downtown district. The Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey describes the district as, "...an architecturally, historically, and functionally distinct area within central Oakland. It contains the City Hall and a strong concentration of well-preserved commercial buildings from about 1900 to 1929, spanning two boom periods for Oakland, the East Bay response to the San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, and the intense real estate and financial growth of the 1920s. These urbane, mostly Beaux-Arts inspired buildings display a general unity of style and scale, and represent many of the better-known Bay Area commercial architects of the period. In their siting and relation to each other, with 17-21-story "skyscrapers" punctuating lower construction, they represent an urban design termed "ideal" by City Beautiful planner Werner Hegemann in 1915, and gave Oakland a distinctive and much-photographed skyline. Downtown's development was one of a series of distinct stages whereby Oakland's commercial center moved north along Broadway from its original waterfront location in the 1850s, to Uptown (around 20th) in the 1930s. The economics of the era in which the 14th and Broadway district developed made it Oakland's office and financial center, in contrast to the Old Oakland district alterations and demolitions, in their historic relationships to one another, skyscrapers spaced among lower buildings creating a still-distinctive downtown Oakland skyline." According to the Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey: "[the Tucker Building] is an attractive example of small-scale 1920s storefront/light industrial architecture, and typifies the less intense development on the fringes of downtown."

Related Names
Tucker, A. J.
Rich, James L.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
CONTEXTUAL VIEW OF TUCKER BUILDING FROM ACROSS JEFFERSON STREET, CAMERA FACING SOUTHEAST
VIEW OF NORTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING SOUTH
VIEW OF WEST ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING EAST
VIEW OF EAST ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING WEST
VIEW OF SOUTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING NORTH
VIEW OF SOUTHWEST CORNER, CAMERA FACING NORTHEAST
DETAIL OF BASE OF BUILDING, NORTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING SOUTH
INTERIOR GROUND FLOOR, LOADING DOORS AT SOUTH END OF BUILDING
INTERIOR, SECOND STORY, DETAIL OF CASEMENT WINDOWS, CAMERA FACING WEST
INTERIOR, LOFT AT NORTH END OF BUILDING, CAMERA FACING EAST


Back to Oakland, California