Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Oakland

>

Alameda County Loan Association Building Annex, 563-565 Sixteenth Street, Oakland, Alameda County, CA



See 20 maps of this location


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
563-565 Sixteenth Street, Oakland, CA

Find maps of Oakland, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2646
Building/structure dates: 1912 initial construction
Significance: This building is a contributing structure to the Oakland Downtown district. The Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey describes the district as, "...an architecturally, historically, and functionally distinct area within central Oakland. It contains the City Hall and a strong concentration of well-preserved commercial buildings from about 1900 to 1929, spanning two boom periods for Oakland, the East Bay response to the San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, and the intense real estate and financial growth of the 1920s. These urbane, mostly Beaux-Arts inspired buildings display a general unity of style and scale, and represent many of the better-known Bay Area commercial architects of the period. In their siting and relation to each other, with 17-21-story "skyscrapers" punctuating lower construction, they represent an urban design termed "ideal" by City Beautiful planner Werner Hegemann in 1915, and gave Oakland a distinctive and much-photographed skyline. Downtown's development was one of a series of distinct stages whereby Oakland's commercial center moved north along Broadway from its original waterfront location in the 1850s, to Uptown (around 20th) in the 1930s. The economics of the era in which the 14th and Broadway district developed made it Oakland's office and financial center, in contrast to the Old Oakland district alterations and demolitions, in their historic relationships to one another, skyscrapers spaced among lower buildings, creating a still-distinctive downtown Oakland skyline." According to the Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey: "In style, scale, and age, this building contributes to the downtown district. In its particular location, it forms a transition between the seven-story Hotel Touraine and other tall buildings along Clay Street, and the lower commercial buildings to the west of it on the outlying edges of the district.

Related Names
Ehrenpfort, A. T.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
CONTEXTUAL VIEW FROM ACROSS 16TH STREET, CAMERA FACING SOUTHWEST
NORTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING SOUTH
WEST ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING EAST
OBLIQUE VIEW OF SOUTH (REAR) ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING EAST
DETAIL OF BRICKWORK AT WEST ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING EAST
DETAIL OF NORTH ELEVATION, C. 1990 GLASS BLOCK WALL AT GROUND FLOOR


Back to Oakland, California