Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

New+Almaden

>

Casa Grande, 21350 Almaden Road, New Almaden, Santa Clara County, CA



See 22 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB108670
Front And South Wall, View From West

HB108671
Rear View From East

HB108672
Hall Side Of Front Door

HB108673
Staircase And Rear Door In Hall

HB108674
View Looking East

HB108675
Northwest Front

HB108676
Southeast (rear) Wall

HB108677
View Looking East-northeast, Tank House In Distance

HB108678
Tank House

HB108679
Photocopy Of Photograph (source Unrecorded) Undated And Unattributed


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Supplemental Material
No images were found.

Item Title


Location
21350 Almaden Road, New+Almaden, CA

Find maps of New+Almaden, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1116
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Significance: Casa Grande was built in 1854 as the residence of the general manager of the New Almaden Mining Company, the richest and most productive mining enterprise in North America. Designed by San Francisco architect Gordon Parker Cummings and Henry W. Halleck, then manager of the company, the large two-story brick building was originally covered with stucco, scored to simulate ashlar masonry. Now only the first-floor stucco veneer remains. A low veranda with slender wooden balusters and supporting posts extends across the front and around the side elevations. The grounds were landscaped in 1854, and ca. 1865 a lake between the house and Alamitos Creek was constructed. To formalize the area surrounding the lake, extensive improvements were completed in 1882 under the direction of the company's manager, James Butterworth Randol. Until the early 20th century Casa Grande served as the manager's residence and the entertainment hall of the company. It has subsequently been used as a club, restaurant, bar and prostitution hall, and most recently, for commercial businesses on the lower levels and an apartment on the second floor.

Related Names
Cummings, Gordon Parker
Halleck, Henry W.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FRONT AND SOUTH WALL, VIEW FROM WEST
2. REAR VIEW FROM EAST
3. HALL SIDE OF FRONT DOOR
4. STAIRCASE AND REAR DOOR IN HALL
5. VIEW LOOKING EAST
6. NORTHWEST FRONT
7. SOUTHEAST (REAR) WALL
8. VIEW LOOKING EAST-NORTHEAST, TANK HOUSE IN DISTANCE
9. TANK HOUSE
10. Photocopy of photograph (source unrecorded) Undated and unattributed. Copy made in 1936. VIEW FROM NORTH


Back to New+Almaden, California