Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

New%2525252525252BAlmaden

>

Mine Hill School, New Almaden Quicksilver Mine County Park, New Almaden, Santa Clara County, CA



B&W Photos

HB108840
Front View, Looking Northeast

HB108841
Rear Side View, Looking Northwest

HB108842
Photocopy Of Stereograph (original Print In New Almaden Museum, 21570 Almaden Rd., New Almaden, Ca) Circa 1860, Photographer Unknown South And West Walls Of Original Structure

HB108843
Photocopy Of Photograph (original Print In New Almaden Museum) 1862, Photographer Unknown North And West Walls After First Addition

HB108844
Photocopy Of Photograph (original Print In New Almaden Museum) Circa 1885, Photographer Unknown West Flank After Second Addition

HB108845
Photocopy Of Photograph (original Print In New Almaden Museum) Circa 1885, Photographer Unknown South Front, Showing Landscaping


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Supplemental Material
No images were found.

Item Title


Location
New Almaden Quicksilver Mine County Park, New%2525252525252BAlmaden, CA

Find maps of New%2525252525252BAlmaden, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1125
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-127).
Building/structure dates: 1860 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1885 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1923 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1930 subsequent work
Significance: Begun in the 1860s this redwood structure was the first school built to accommodate the children of workers at the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine and was used as such until 1910. It was the largest of three schools built by the Mine Company and is the only one still standing. Enlarged several times, its final form contained decorative cornice brackets and window head moldings and was situated on a terraced and landscaped site, making it, with the possible exception of the churches formerly located there, the most architecturally sophisticated structure on the hill. Presently it is one of the only three structures remaining on the Mine Hill site which date to the nineteenth century,

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. FRONT VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST
2. REAR SIDE VIEW, LOOKING NORTHWEST
3. Photocopy of stereograph (original print in New Almaden Museum, 21570 Almaden Rd., New Almaden, CA) Circa 1860, photographer unknown SOUTH AND WEST WALLS OF ORIGINAL STRUCTURE
4. Photocopy of photograph (original print in New Almaden Museum) 1862, photographer unknown NORTH AND WEST WALLS AFTER FIRST ADDITION
5. Photocopy of photograph (original print in New Almaden Museum) Circa 1885, photographer unknown WEST FLANK AFTER SECOND ADDITION
6. Photocopy of photograph (original print in New Almaden Museum) Circa 1885, photographer unknown SOUTH FRONT, SHOWING LANDSCAPING


Back to New%2525252525252BAlmaden, California