Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

National+City

>

Granger Music Hall, 1700 East Fourth Street, National City, San Diego County, CA



See 23 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB95469
General Exterior View, Entrance To Left

HB95470
Interior From Vestibule To Stage

HB95471
Interior, From Stage To Vestibule

HB95472
Interior Showing Ceiling

HB95473
Ceiling Frescoes

HB95474
Small Room In Music Hall

HB95475
General Exterior View, 1975 (photocopy Of 1975 Photograph Made In November 1980 By Walter Smalling).

HB95476
General Exterior View, 1980 (photograph By Walter Smalling, November 1980).

HB95477
Interior Looking Toward Stage (photograph By Walter Smalling, November 1980).


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1700 East Fourth Street, National+City, CA

Find maps of National+City, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1998
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-198).
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1969
Significance: The Granger Music Hall, constructed in the 1890s by silver baron Ralph Granger, was an ambitious and highly original attempt to provide a grand setting for musical events in a California town. Great care was lavished on the structure's decoration. Between 1898 and 1906 the hall was the site of concerts by world famous musicians. It was moved to its present site in November 1969. / In 1896, San Diego millionaire Ralph Granger commissioned California architect Irving John Gill to design a detached "music room" for the silver baron's Paradise Valley estate. The architect, who had apprenticed under the Chicago firm of Adler and Sullivan - a firm highly respected for their acoustical design excellence - provided a small though grand setting for the music which was Granger's passion. Two years after the music room was completed, it became the vestibule for a two hundred-seat auditorium. Special care was lavished on the soundproofed walls and elaborate interior decoration, which included a seventy-five-foot allegorical ceiling painting. The hall, which housed a 1060-pipe organ and an extensive collection of violins, was used for numerous performances by major artists. After fire destroyed the estate house in 1906, the music hall was closed and eventually damaged by fires and vandalism. In 1969, the hall was moved to its present site and restoration was begun.

Related Names
Gill, Irving John


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL EXTERIOR VIEW, ENTRANCE TO LEFT
2. INTERIOR FROM VESTIBULE TO STAGE
3. INTERIOR, FROM STAGE TO VESTIBULE
4. INTERIOR SHOWING CEILING
5. CEILING FRESCOES
6. SMALL ROOM IN MUSIC HALL
7. GENERAL EXTERIOR VIEW, 1975 (photocopy of 1975 photograph made in November 1980 by Walter Smalling).
8. GENERAL EXTERIOR VIEW, 1980 (photograph by Walter Smalling, November 1980).
9. INTERIOR LOOKING TOWARD STAGE (photograph by Walter Smalling, November 1980).


Back to National+City, California