First Street Bridge, Spanning Napa River at First Street between Soscol, Napa, Napa County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Napa River at First Street between Soscol, Napa, CA
Find maps of Napa, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-340
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Significance: The First Street Bridge over the Napa River is believed to be the first reinforced-concrete bridge in Napa County. John B. Leonard, one of California's leading bridge engineers in the early twentieth century, designed the structure. In 2004, the First Street Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Gildersleeve, Charles H.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Overall context view to the south, from the east bank of the Napa River
South elevation, from the east bank of the Napa River
Detail of the west bay, south side, showing incised designs and west pier, oblique view to the west
Detail of the east bay, south side, showing concrete beams, east pier, and decorative incised designs, view to the northwest
South elevation, showing piers, transverse beams, and decorative designs, oblique view to the west
North elevation, from the west bank of the Napa River
North elevation, showing piers, transverse beams, and decorative designs, oblique view to the east
East approach, view to the west toward downtown Napa
Detail of column, parapet, and abutment on the north side, east end
Parapet on the north side, showing columns and abutments, view to the northeast
Detail of plaque beneath column on the south parapet at the west end of the bridge. The plaque reads “1914; Mayor E.J. Drussel; Councilmen E.S. Henry, E.F. Hogan, R.P. Lamdin, C.F. Ross, J.H. Shuppert; Leonard & Day, Engineers; C.H. Gildersleeve, Builder.”
Back to Napa, California