Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Morgan+Hill+vicinity

>

Malaguerra Winery, Burnett Road, Morgan Hill, Santa Clara County, CA



B&W Photos

HB108542
View Looking Northeast

HB108543
West Wall

HB108544
Detail Of West Wall

HB108545
Star In West Gable And Plaque With Initials C M And 1869 Date

HB108546
Doorway, West Wall


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Supplemental Material
No images were found.

Item Title


Location
Burnett Road, Morgan+Hill+vicinity, CA

Find maps of Morgan+Hill+, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2004
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-98).
Building/structure dates: 1869 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Significance: The original two-story winery building, located at the eastern edge of the Valley and the foothills of the Diablo Range, was erected in 1869 for Jose Maria Malaguerra and is the oldest extant winery structure in Santa Clara County. The building is constructed of basalt rubblestone now stuccoed, which was taken from the nearby Coyote Creek. Built against a sloping site, the two-story winery has no interior staircase because both floors are accessible at grade level. Cultivation of grapes on a commercial basis began in this area during the early 1850s, and in 1860 Malaguerra was one of twenty-six vintners in the county. During the mid-1890s, national depression and over-production of grapes resulted in many local wineries closing. Among these was the Malaguerra Wine operation which folded in 1898. The winery was revived and expanded at the turn of the century, remaining in operation until 1950. Renovation of the complex as a functioning wine museum is presently being undertaken by the Friends of the Wine Makers, in cooperation with the State's Department of Parks and Recreation.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST
2. WEST WALL
3. DETAIL OF WEST WALL
4. STAR IN WEST GABLE AND PLAQUE WITH INITIALS C M AND 1869 DATE
5. DOORWAY, WEST WALL


Back to Morgan+Hill+vicinity, California