Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Los%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BAngeles

>

Hughes Aircraft Company, Garage & Maintenance Building, 6775 Centinela Avenue, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA



B&W Photos

HB159461
BWPhotos 324419

HB159462
BWPhotos 324420

HB159463
BWPhotos 324421

HB159464
BWPhotos 324422

HB159465
BWPhotos 324423

HB159466
BWPhotos 324424

HB159467
BWPhotos 324425

HB159468
BWPhotos 324426

HB159469
BWPhotos 324427


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
6775 Centinela Avenue, Los%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BAngeles, CA

Find maps of Los%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BAngeles, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER CA-174-G
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
Significance: One of the earliest structures of the Hughes complex, Building 11, is a single story, high bay structure, roughly rectangular in plan, with a very slightly pitched gabled roof. Of traditional wood frame construction and clad in smooth stucco, the utilitarian design lacks any decorative embellishment. ... Built between 1941 and 1943, Building 11 was designed by architect H.L. Gogerty and was one of the eight structures which formed the nucleus of the early plant. Originally known as Building L, or the Paint Shop, it also housed the Plating and Anodizing Department. The structure was first located at the west end of Building 5 and was moved to its present location behind the cafeteria in November 1949 prior to construction of the second addition to Building 5. The Donald R. Warren Company, a local engineering firm, drew the plans for the structure's relocation. Following the move, Building 11 functioned as the plant garage and contained areas for vehicle repair and washing, a welding area and carpentry shop, and tool and parts storage. The Maintenance Department also occupied space in the building. Howard Hughes reportedly maintained a private apartment in the penthouse of Building 11. A rooftop walkway allowed the secretive millionaire to pass between the penthouse and the executive dining room of the adjoining cafeteria unseen by the rest of the plant.

Related Names
Gogerty, Henry L.
De Vries, David G., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Los%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BAngeles, California