Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Long%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BBeach

>

Roosevelt Base, Officers' Club, Corner of Pennsylvania Street & Richardson Avenue, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, CA



B&W Photos

HB169130
BWPhotos 325503

HB169131
BWPhotos 325504

HB169132
BWPhotos 325505

HB169133
BWPhotos 325506

HB169134
BWPhotos 325507

HB169135
BWPhotos 325508

HB169136
BWPhotos 325509

HB169137
BWPhotos 325510

HB169138
BWPhotos 325511


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Corner of Pennsylvania Street & Richardson Avenue, Long%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BBeach, CA

Find maps of Long%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BBeach, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2663-O
Significance: The Roosevelt Base Historic District, constructed in 1940-1943, consists of 11 buildings designed in the International Style with Mediterranean Revival detailing, five structures, and extensive historic landscaping. It is eligible for the National Register for its site planning, landscaping, architectural style, and its Associate Architect Paul Williams, a nationally prominent Los Angeles Afro-American architect. Additionally, the District is significant for its association with the buildup of permanent Naval facilities on the Pacific Coast under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, during the mobilization period preceding the United States' entry into World War II. Building 24, the original Officers' Club called the Allen Center, was once a dominant building in the recreation complex, but has been so remodeled that its original International Style attributes have been overwhelmed. The dramatic porte cochere, now hidden by landscaping, the entry door and the pool side door, set within window walls, are the only original elements remaining with architectural integrity.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, WEST SIDE, FACING EAST
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, WEST AND SOUTH SIDES, FACING NORTHEAST
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, SOUTH SIDE, FROM RICHARDSON AVENUE, FACING NORTH
OBLIQUE VIEW OF BUILDING 24, SHOWING SOUTH AND EAST SIDES, FACING NORTHWEST
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, EAST SIDE, LOADING DOCK AREA, FACING WEST
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, NORTH SIDE, FACING SOUTH
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, MAIN ENTRANCE ON WEST SIDE, FACING SOUTH
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, DETAIL OF MAIN ENTRANCE DOORWAY AND WINDOWS, WEST SIDE, FACING EAST
VIEW OF BUILDING 24, DETAIL ON NORTH SIDE, DOORWAY AND STAIRS FROM POOL AREA, FACING SOUTH


Back to Long%252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BBeach, California