Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Lompoc+vicinity

>

Point Arguello Coast Guard Rescue Station, Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, CA



B&W Photos

HB120656
View Of Boathouse Launching Ramp And Dock From Breakwater; Sw Side Of Boathouse.

HB120656
View Of Boathouse Launching Ramp And Dock From Breakwater; Sw Side Of Boathouse.


Item Title
View Of Boathouse Launching Ramp And Dock From Breakwater; Sw Side Of Boathouse.

Location
Lompoc+vicinity, CA

Find maps of Lompoc+, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER CA-6
Significance: The U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Station and Lookout Tower at Point Arguello, California, was established on December 17, 1936, and ceased normal operations on December 31, 1941. The site was purchased by the Coast Guard on July 22, 1935, and it remained under their jurisdiction until February 10, 1958, when it was transferred to the U.S. Navy. This site, on an open cove approximately two miles south of the Point Arguello Lighthouse, was selected as a location for a rescue station because of the long history of naval disasters which have occurred on this section of the California Coast. Between the years of 1936 and 1941 the Coast Guard constructed on the site an Administration and Barracks Bldg. (1936), a Garage Bldg. (1936), a small Water Treatment Bldg. (1936), A Flag Tower (1936), a Lookout Tower (1937), a granite rock Breakwater (1939), and a Dock, Marine Railway and Boathouse (1937). All of these structures were designed by the Civil Engineering Office of the Coast Guard in Washington D.C. and they were built on contract by private California construction firms. The architectural imagery evoked was that of the residential Colonial Revival; a style almost universally employed (1900-1940) by the Coast Guard for its many land facilities.

Subjects
Colonial Revival
Military Facilities
Temporary Buildings


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. View of Boathouse, launching ramp and dock from Breakwater; SW side of Boathouse.
2. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from Breakwater; SW side of Boathouse.
3. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from Breakwater; SW side of Boathouse.
4. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from the NE end of Breakwater.
5. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from upper land shelf; SW side of Boathouse.
6. View of Boathouse, launching ramp and dock from upper land shelf; SW side of Boathouse.
7. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from upper land shelf; NE side of Boathouse.
8. View of Boathouse launching ramp and dock from upper land shelf; NE side of Boathouse.
9. Wooden stairs leading down to Boathouse and dock; NW side of Boathouse.
10. Wooden stairs leading down to Boathouse and dock; NW side of Boathouse.
11. Narrow walkway leading from foot of wooden stairs to the Boathouse and dock; NW side of Boathouse.
12. Narrow walkway leading from foot of wooden stairs to the Boathouse and dock; NW side of Boathouse.
13. View of Boathouse, launching ramp and dock from the end of the dock; SE side of Boathouse.
14. View of launching ramp looking from SE end of Boathouse towards the water.
15. View of upper section of launching ramp looking from SE end of Boathouse towards the open end of the Harbor.
16. Interior of the Boathouse, looking toward doors at the SE end of the building.
17. Interior of the Boathouse looking toward the S corner of the building.
18. Interior of the Boathouse looking toward the S corner of the building.
19. Headquarters and Barracks Building; S and E sides of building.
20. Headquarters and Barracks Building; S and W sides of the building.
21. Detail of the SW corner of the front entrance porch, Headquarters and Barracks Building.
22. Headquarters and Barracks Building; N and W sides of building.
23. Headquarters and Barracks Building; N and W sides of building.
24. Detail of the SW corner of the Headquarters and Barracks Building.
25. Detail of the NE corner of the Headquarters and Barracks Building.
26. Interior, second floor hall of the Headquarters and Barracks Building; View towards the E.
27. Interior, main barracks room on second floor of the Headquarters and Barracks Building; view of the Wawall of the room.
28. Interior, main barracks room on second floor of the Headquarters and Barracks Building; view of W and N walls of room.
29. Pump House; S and E sides of building.
30. Garage Building; S and E sides of building.
31. Garage Building; N and W sides of building.
32. Garage Building; N and W sides of building.
33. Aerial view of Rescue Station complex; view towards east.


Back to Lompoc+vicinity, California