Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Lancaster

>

Lancaster County Center, 4845 Ceder Avenue, Lancaster, Los Angeles County, CA



See 23 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB143967
Lancaster County Center From Lancaster Boulevard, Camera Facing Southwest.

HB143968
Lancaster County Center From Cedar Avenue, Camera Facing Northwest.

HB143969
Lancaster County Center From Cedar Avenue, Camera Facing North Northwest.

HB143970
Lancaster County Center From Rear Alley, Camera Facing Northeast.

HB143971
Lancaster County Center From Lancaster Boulevard, Camera Facing South Southeast.


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
4845 Ceder Avenue, Lancaster, CA

Find maps of Lancaster, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2350
Building/structure dates: 1938 initial construction
Significance: The Lancaster County Center is considered to be historically significant within a local historic context. As the government and community center of Lancaster the complex was associated with community events and provided essential services that welded a sense of community among Antelope Valley residents. The complex as a whole embodies distinctive characteristics that convey a strong sense of time and place by representing the civil and social center of Antelope Valley from 1938 through the late 1950s. The Memorial Hall was the main center in the valley for social and cultural meetings. During World War II it was the center for the Red Cross wartime food and clothing drive. Local dance and entertainment groups also performed there. In addition, the entire complex of five buildings was the county administrative center for Antelope Valley and provided essential community services including the Sheriff, Health Center, County Clerk Water and Building Department, Assessors Office, Justice Court and Library. From 1938 to 1950 the complex was the sole center of county business for the Antelope Valley and defined Lancaster as the location for local government institutions. As such the complex represents a pattern of events that made Lancaster the social and local government center for the Antelope Valley community from 1938 to 1950.

Related Names
Public Works Administration


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. LANCASTER COUNTY CENTER FROM LANCASTER BOULEVARD, CAMERA FACING SOUTHWEST.
2. LANCASTER COUNTY CENTER FROM CEDAR AVENUE, CAMERA FACING NORTHWEST.
3. LANCASTER COUNTY CENTER FROM CEDAR AVENUE, CAMERA FACING NORTH NORTHWEST.
4. LANCASTER COUNTY CENTER FROM REAR ALLEY, CAMERA FACING NORTHEAST.
5. LANCASTER COUNTY CENTER FROM LANCASTER BOULEVARD, CAMERA FACING SOUTH SOUTHEAST.


Back to Lancaster, California