Manzanar War Relocation Center, Owens Valley off U.S. Highway 395, 6 miles South o, Independence, Inyo County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
6 miles South o, Independence vicinity, CA
Find maps of Independence, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2399
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N166).
National Register Number: 76000484
Significance: Manzanar was one of ten relocation centers which held Japanese evacuated from the West Coast of the United States during World War II. After a National Park Service study of all ten sites it was determined that Manzanar presented the best opportunity for preservation and interpretation. The United States Congress established Manzanar National Historic Site, a unit of the National Park System, on March 3, 1992.
War (World War II)
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. LOOKING SOUTH FROM ROOF OF AUDITORIUM
2. LOOKING WESTSOUTHWEST FROM ROOF OF AUDITORIUM
3. LOOKING NORTHNORTHWEST FROM ROOF OF AUDITORIUM
4. LOOKING NORTHWEST FROM ROOF OF AUDITORIUM
5. GENERAL VIEW OF ENTRANCE ROAD SHOWING WALKWAY TO ADMINISTRATIVE SITE, INTERNAL POLICE POST AND MILITARY POLICE POST, LOOKING NORTHNORHTEAST.
6. GENERAL VIEW OF INTERNAL POLICE POST IN FOREGROUND AND MILITARY POLICE POST IN BACKGROUND ALONG ENTRANCE ROAD, LOOKING NORTHEAST
7. WALKWAY/ENTRANCE TO ADMINSITRATIVE SITE ADJACENT TO ENTRANCE ROAD AND INTERNAL POLICE POST, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
Back to Independence vicinity, California