Lilly's Auto Camp, 8877 Monterey Highway, Gilroy, Santa Clara County, CA
Northeast Front Of Office Facing Highway
Office, Looking West
Cabins, Looking Southwest
Cabins, Looking East
Typical Cabin And Carport Unit, Looking Southeast
Shower Building And Chicken House, Looking West
Photo Caption Pages
No images were found.
8877 Monterey Highway, Gilroy, CA
Find maps of Gilroy, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2094
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-105).
Building/structure dates: 1927 initial construction
Structure associated with motor touring.
Significance: Forerunner of the modern motel, the "cabin camp" first appeared in California in the mid-1920s. This one -- located on what was then the main automobile route between San Francisco and Los Angeles -- was operated by Allen and Alice Lilly from about 1927 until 1932. Each of fifteen cabins was sparsely furnished with a double bed, table, one or two chairs, metered gas stove, and small toilet. Showers were located in a small building to the north. A separate building to the north -- now substantially altered -- served as a combination office, grocery store, restaurant, and filling station.
Tourist Camps & Hostels
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. NORTHEAST FRONT OF OFFICE FACING HIGHWAY
2. OFFICE, LOOKING WEST
3. CABINS, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
4. CABINS, LOOKING EAST
5. TYPICAL CABIN AND CARPORT UNIT, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
6. SHOWER BUILDING AND CHICKEN HOUSE, LOOKING WEST
Back to Gilroy, California