Santos Farm, 1481 Mowry Avenue, Fremont, Alameda County, CA
Photo Caption Pages
1481 Mowry Avenue, Fremont, CA
Find maps of Fremont, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2289
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1945 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1986 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1956 subsequent work
Significance: The Santos Farm complex is historically significant as one of the few remaining farm complexes in southern Alameda County. The property has been associated with the Portuguese community for over a century. Architecturally, the house and barn are representative of regional types which are rapidly disappearing. The house is further distinguished by its generous application of tongue-and-groove redwood siding on interior walls and ceilings.
Damas, Joseph G.
De Rosa, Manuel A.
Santos, John J.
Clark, Maria Santos King.
Page & Turnbull, Field Team
Minor, Woodruff C., Historian
Schafer, Jack, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SANTOS FARM AND SURROUNDING CONTEXT, VIEW FROM ACROSS MOWRY AVENUE, FACING WEST. BAY AREA RAPID TRANSIT DISTRICT TRACKS CROSSING OVER MOWRY AVENUE AT LEFT
2. VIEW FROM ACROSS MOWRY AVENUE, FACING WEST. QUONSET HUT AT LEFT, BARN AT CENTER, HOUSE AT RIGHT. MOWRY AVENUE IN FOREGROUND
3. VIEW FROM ACROSS MOWRY AVENUE, FACING NORTHWEST. BARN AT LEFT, HOUSE AT RIGHT. MOWRY AVENUE IN FOREGROUND
4. VIEW FROM ACROSS MOWRY AVENUE, FACING NORTHWEST. QUONSET HUT AND BARN
5. GENERAL VIEW, FACING EAST
6. VIEW OF ORCHARD, FACING EAST. SANTOS BARN, QUONSET HUT, AND STORAGE SHED IN BACKGROUND
Back to Fremont, California