Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Fairfield

>

Travis Air Force Base, B-36 Hangar, Between Woodskill Avenue & Ellis, adjacent to Taxi, Fairfield, Solano County, CA



B&W Photos

HB192595
BWPhotos 377492

HB192596
BWPhotos 377493

HB192597
BWPhotos 377494

HB192598
BWPhotos 377495

HB192599
BWPhotos 377496

HB192600
BWPhotos 377497

HB192601
BWPhotos 377498

HB192602
BWPhotos 377499

HB192603
BWPhotos 377500

HB192604
BWPhotos 377501


Item Title
BWPhotos 377501

Location
adjacent to Taxi, Fairfield, CA

Find maps of Fairfield, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2669-B
Building/structure dates: 1955 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1961 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1965 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1966 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Significance: Building 810 is significant as an excellent example of a double-cantilever, medium bomber hangar used for maintenance of the B-36. It was one of the first such double-bay bomber hangars erected nationwide by the Strategic Air Command (SAC). The B-36 was SAC's first long-range, intercontinental bomber carrying nuclear weapons, the only aircraft during the early years of the Cold War capable of reaching - and returning from - the Soviet Union. This maintenance hangar, in response to the size of the bomber, was monumental. Similar structures were built at SAC installations between 1952 and 1957. The double-cantilever, B-36 hangar was one of the first symbolic military structures of the Cold War; its physical size foreshadowed the moleholes and alert apron of the B-52 and KC-135 tanker.

Related Names
Snyder, John, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Fairfield, California