Colusa Bridge, Spanning Sacramento River, Colusa, Colusa County, CA
See 22 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Sacramento River, Colusa, CA
Find maps of Colusa, CA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER CA-7
Building/structure dates: 1901 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1922 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1927 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1947 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1979 demolished
Significance: The turning mechanism, although presently electrically operated, was originally hand-operated, is representative of several swing span bridges throughout California.
County Of Colusa
Colusa Stone Company
Kaerth, J. W.
Jenkins & Elton
Lord & Bishop
De St Maurice, Charles
Klar, Daniel W., Historian
The Helders, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Standing approximately 50 feet south of the bridge, looking northerly along the bridge centerline.
2. Standing on westerly fender about 15 feet from bridge looking easterly showing the northwest portion of the turning mechanism located at pier #3.
3. Standing on westerly fender about 30 feet from bridge, looking easterly, showing the west side of the turning mechanism located at pier #3.
4. Standing beneath the bridge in the turning mechanism compartment looking northeasterly at a portion of the turning mechanism.
5. Standing at center line of bridge looking north at southside of bridge control house.
6. Standing on the westerly fender at the north edge of the bridge looking easterly at gears in the turning mechanism for the swing span.
7. Standing on the south levee bank west of the bridge looking northeasterly showing an overall bridge view.
8. Standing on the south levee bank looking northwest showing most of the swing span portion of the bridge.
9. Standing on the south levee bank looking northwest showing near overall view of bridge.
10. Standing at south end of bridge near center of roadway/deck looking northwest, showing trusses and ornamental ironwork.
11. Standing on westerly fender at edge of bridge looking easterly, showing horizontal beams for deck and cross beams (reflection of steel grating on deck). Also shows bridge guardrail.
12. Standing at south end of bridge at centerline of roadway/deck showing decorative iron work at south end of bridge, looking north.
13. Standing on bridge deck showing steel deck grating.
14. Standing on bridge deck showing closeup of typical vertical truss member.
15. Standing on bridge deck showing typical vertical and horizontal truss members.
16. Standing on bridge deck showing typical vertical and horizontal turss members and tension bars.
17. Standing on bridge deck showing typical member and connections.
18. Standing on westerly fender looking easterly showing a portion of the lower steel truss work and outside of turning mechanism enclosure.
19. Sheet No. C-1935-6, entitled 'Truss Details Fixed Span.'
20. Sheet No. C-1935-7, entitled 'Truss Details Swing Span.'
21. Sheet No. C-1935-8, entitled 'Steel Details Fixed Span.'
22. Sheet No. C-1935-9, entitled 'Steel Details Swing Span.'
23. Sheet No. C-1935-10R, entitled 'Steel and Deck Details.'
24. Sheet No. C-1935-11, entitled 'Fender Details.'
25. Sheet No. C-1935-14, entitled 'Work Layout.'
26. Sheet No. C-1935-15, entitled 'Miscellaneous Details.'
Back to Colusa, California