Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Columbia

>

St. Anne's Church, Church Street, Columbia, Tuolumne County, CA



See 22 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB116022
Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan

HB116023
Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan

HB116024
Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan

HB116025
Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material
No images were found.

Item Title


Location
Church Street, Columbia, CA

Find maps of Columbia, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1142
Significance: The first Catholic church in Columbia was established in 1852. Services were held in a log frame and canvas structure surmounted by a small wooden cross. In the winter of 1853 a new church was built on the east side of Gold Street. Rev. Henry Aleric was the priest of this wood frame church. Rev. Daniel Slattery, the priest in Columbia in July 1855 began a drive for subscriptions from the miners to build St. Anne's on Kennebeck Hill. The property deed was recorded in March 1856 & construction began in July 1856. The architect was John Wallace, a surveyor from England, then working in Colombia. A foundation of native stone was laid upon which the brick walls were built. The bricks were made in Shaw's Flat Kiln by Jordan & Co. of Sonora. Timber for the roof trusses & sheathing was available locally, as were the hand split shingles. The major woodwork was done by Northrup & Marshall. The gothic shaped window head had four panels of colored glass. The main window was clear glass. St. Anne's was completed and on November 1, 1856, was consecrated by Archbishop Allemany of San Francisco. The belfry was added in 1857. The bell was cast by Meneelys' in Troy, New York and dated 1857. The bell, which cost $1,500 & weighed 1,600 pounds, was shipped around the Horn. The church underwent major repairs in 1872. In 1880 the altar paintings were added by James Fallon, son of a pioneer hotel owner. The edifice was declared unsafe in 1910 and closed, but was repaired & restored in 1926 & reopened.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan. 21, 1934 NORTH-WEST ELEVATION (FRONT)
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan. 21, 1934 VIEW FROM WEST
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan. 21, 1934 STAIRWAY LEADING TO CHOIR LOFT
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Roger Sturtevant, Photographer Jan. 21, 1934 INTERIOR FROM CHOIR LOFT
6. Historic American Buildings Survey INTERIOR VIEW OF ALTAR


Back to Columbia, California