Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

California

>

Claremont

>

Pitzer Ranch, Reservoir, Southwest Corner of Base Line Road & Padua Avenue, Claremont, Los Angeles County, CA



B&W Photos

HB136203
West Side.

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.


Item Title


Location
Southwest Corner of Base Line Road & Padua Avenue, Claremont, CA

Find maps of Claremont, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-2267-J
Significance: The reservoir is part of the Pitzer Ranch Complex consisting of the main house, pumphouse, shed, stone bar, water tower, and secondary house on Padua Avenue and the Pitzer House, stone garage, and stone wall on Towne Avenue. The Pitzer Ranch Complex is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The original owner of the land and structures was James Becket. Becket owned most of the water rights in the area (The Consolidated Water Company) and orchards throughout the area. Lee Pitzer married James Becket's daughter on January 1, 1901 and subsequently took ownership of the property and structures of the Pitzer Ranch Complex on Padua Avenue in approximately 1910. Lee Pitzer expanded the development of citrus orchards in the area. Pitzer was the first to grow lemons along Base Line Road. Lee Pitzer was the brother of Russell Pitzer, founder of Pitzer College in Claremont, California. The Pitzer Reservoir was used to store water from the onsite fieldstone pumphouse. The water was used to irrigate the citrus orchards. Clifford B. Pitzer, son of Lee Pitzer, notes in an oral history review that he used to swim in the reservoir.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. North front; Pitzer Barn in background.
2. West side.
3. South back.
4. East side; Pitzer Barn to left, Shed in center; Tenant House to right.


Back to Claremont, California