Fort McDowell, Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, Marin County, CA
See 19 maps of this location
Angel Island State Park, Angel%25252525252525252525252525252BIsland, CA
Find maps of Angel%25252525252525252525252525252BIsland, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2721
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N594; N907).
Building/structure dates: 1899 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1901 subsequent work
Significance: The growth of the U.S. military in the early twentieth century precipitated expansion of the Army presence on Angel Island. After nearly forty years of maintaining a modest Army installation at Camp Reynolds on the west side of the island, development and resources were shifted to a new location on the east. Initially a quarry and outpost of Fort McDowell, this site was used for a variety of administrative purposes relating to the enlistment, assignment, movement, and discharge of troops until the base was decommissioned in 1946. As it still exists, the East Garrison features a remarkable collection of Army architecture from the early twentieth century. A major building campaign of reinforced concrete Mission Revival structures begun in 1910 gave this important recruit depot a cohesive aesthetic that reflected the new importance of planning in Army construction. Additional wood structures dating to both before and after this campaign illustrate the variety of architecture and functions at an Army post.
Forts & Fortifications
U.S.Department Of The Army
U.S. Department Of The Interior
Schara, Mark, Delineator
Rosenthal, James W., Photographer
Davidson, Lisa P., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Angel%25252525252525252525252525252BIsland, California