Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

California

>

Angel Island

>

Camp Reynolds, Commanding Officer's Quarters, Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, Marin County, CA



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB205566

HB205567

HB205568

HB205569


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, CA

Find maps of Angel Island, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1841-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N898).
Building/structure dates: 1863
Significance: Camp Reynolds was established on Angel Island in 1863 to enhance the coastal defenses of San Francisco Bay during the Civil War. In 1866 Camp Reynolds became the army's general depot for receiving and distributing new recruits in the West. From the 1860s through the 1880s a village of wood frame buildings including a chapel, officers' quarters, barracks, and various support structures was constructed and expanded. Now part of Angel Island State Park, Camp Reynolds features a remarkable collection of surviving officers' quarters from the 1860s and 1870s.Dating to the Civil War era, the Commanding Officer's Quarters is one of the oldest extant structures on Angel Island. Although always occupied as an army structure, this building reflects domestic architecture of the second half of the nineteenth century in its asymmetrical form, numerous porches, and plain but fashionable detailing. Numerous changes to the structure indicate continual adaptation for use by army personnel. As the commanding officer's residence this structure was the largest and most elaborately appointed quarters on the base until the construction of a new commanding officer's quarters at the East Garrison in 1910-11. In subsequent years this structure was altered and became quarters for lessor ranking personnel.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
Military Education
L-plan Buildings


Related Names
Most, Jennifer L., Delineator
Rosenthal, James W., Photographer
Davidson, Lisa P., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
Elevation view of northwest facade with scale
Elevation view of fireplace opening and archways in northwest parlor
Elevation view of fireplace opening and archways in northwest parlor with scale
Detail view of stenciling at ceiling in northwest parlor


Back to Angel Island, California