Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

California

>

Angel Island

>

Camp Reynolds, Band Master's Quarters, Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, Marin County, CA



See 19 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB205679

HB205680


Data Pages


Drawings


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
Angel Island State Park, Angel Island, CA

Find maps of Angel Island, CA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS CA-1841-E
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N902).
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Significance: Camp Reynolds was established on Angel Island in 1863 to enhance the coastal defenses of San Francisco Bay during the Civil War. In 1866 Camp Reynolds became the army's general depot for receiving and distributing new recruits in the West. From the 1860s through the 1880s a village of wood frame buildings including a chapel, officers' quarters, barracks, and various support structures was constructed and expanded. Now part of Angel Island State Park, Camp Reynolds features a remarkable collection of surviving late nineteenth-century army structures.This officer's quarters dates to the expansion of Camp Reynolds in the post Civil War period. This building's idiosyncratic form represents the ad hoc nature of construction and repair at Angel Island and other isolated military installations. Located close to the wharf location and away from officer's row, this structure was used by lower ranking officers. including the band master during the late nineteenth century. During the early twentieth century the building was used by bachelor officers, creating a space for them separate from the families on officers' row but still distinct from the enlisted men. Construction of more modern officers' quarters at the East Garrison in the mid-1910s and years of hard use further reduced the status of this structure to quarters for non-commissioned officers in 1931.

Subjects
Officers' Quarters
Domestic Life
Military Headquarters


Related Names
Most, Jennifer L., Field Team
Falwell, Kathryn A., Delineator
Rosenthal, James W., Photographer
Davidson, Lisa P., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
View of approach from east
View of porch with bay window and pier in background from northeast
View of approach from east
View of porch with bay window and pier in background from northeast


Back to Angel Island, California