U.S. Coast Guard Support Center Alameda, Warehouse, Spencer Road & Icarrus Drive, Coast Guard Island, Alameda, Alameda County, CA
See 20 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Coast Guard Island, Alameda, CA
Find maps of Alameda, CA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS CA-2640-A
Building/structure dates: 1933 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1976 subsequent work
Significance: According to a HABS survey prepared by Ana Beth Koval in 1992: "This building is one of the fourteen 1930s buildings on Coast Guard Island which appear to be eligible to the National Register as a contributor to a historic district. The buildings form an intact 1930s federal government office and industrial compound. The district appears to meet Criteria A and C. The district appears to have been a prototype federal government complex of offices and industrial spaces used by several federal agencies (Criterion A). This group of buildings is an excellent example of Art Deco/Moderne style industrial buildings. Even though the buildings vary in size and function, they are unified through their style (Criterion C). While alterations have been made individually to the buildings, together they appear to have sufficient integrity."
Brown, Capt. Ambrose B.
Betts, M. C.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. CONTEXTUAL VIEW OF BUILDING 17, CAMERA FACING SOUTH.
2. SOUTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING NORTH.
3. NORTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING SOUTH.
4. WEST ELEVATION/SOUTHWEST CORNER, CAMERA FACING NORTHEAST.
5. EAST ELEVATION/SOUTHEAST CORNER, CAMERA FACING NORTHWEST.
6. DETAILED VIEW OF SOUTH ELEVATION, CENTER PORTION, SHOWING CRACKED MASONRY.
7. DETAIL OF WINDOW AT WEST END OF SOUTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING NORTH.
8. DETAIL OF WINDOW AT EAST END OF NORTH ELEVATION, CAMERA FACING SOUTH.
9. INTERIOR, WAREHOUSE SPACE AT EAST END OF BUILDING, CAMERA FACING NORTHEAST.
Back to Alameda, California