Rose Pauson House (Ruins), Thirty-Second Street, Phoenix, Maricopa County, AZ
Photo Caption Pages
Thirty-Second Street, Phoenix, AZ
Find maps of Phoenix, AZ
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AZ-143
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
Significance: The Pauson House was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and completed in 1940. Three photographs and two floor plans of the house were published in Henry-Russel Hitchcock's "In the Nature of Materials" in 1942, the same year the house was destroyed by fire. The stone walls of the ruins became a local landmark, known as Shiprock, because of their prominent hillside location and shape. When the ruins were threatened by the extension of Thirty-Second Street in the late 1970s, community pressure resulted in the relocation of some of the ruins to a new site slightly to the west of the original location.
Wright, Frank Lloyd
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW FROM SOUTH, PARALLEL TO 32ND STREET Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS05-B-1979-1401L.
2. LOOKING WNW AT BASE OF ENTRY STAIRWAY ON CONVERGING CAMERA AXES Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS05-B-1979-1402L.
3. LOOKING ESE FROM NEAR WESTERN BASE OF HILLSIDE Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS05-B-1979-1403R.
4. VIEW FROM NORTH PARALLEL TO 32ND STREET Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS05-B-1979-1404R.
5. VIEW FROM NORTH TERRACE ALONG AXIS OF HOUSE TO SSW ON PARALLEL CAMERA AXES Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS01-B-1979-1405R.
6. VIEW FROM ENTRY HALL ALONG AXIS OF HOUSE TO NNE ON PARALLEL CAMERA AXES Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS01-B-1979-1406R.
7. VIEW OF KITCHEN WALLS LOOKING WNW ON PARALLEL CAMERA AXES Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS01-B-1979-1407L.
8. AERIAL VIEW Copy photograph of photogrammetric plate LC-HABS-GS01-B-1979-1408.
9. CHIMNEY MASS, LOOKING WNW Copy photograph of photograph LC-HABS-GS01-B-1979-1410.
Back to Phoenix, Arizona