Phoenix Indian School, Northeast Corner of Central Avenue & Indian School, Phoenix, Maricopa County, AZ
See 13 maps of this location
Northeast Corner of Central Avenue & Indian School, Phoenix, AZ
Find maps of Phoenix, AZ
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AZ-145
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N268).
Building/structure dates: 1891 initial construction
Significance: The Phoenix Indian School was the largest off-reservation school for Native American children in the U.S., existing from 1891 to 1990. The institution stood as a memorial to the desire and intention on the part of the federal government to educate Native Americans to take their place in American society. At the height of its activity, from c. 1900 to c. 1935, the campus comprised more than 100 structures; before the demolitions that began c. 1950, this made up the largest collection of buildings of one period and associated function in Arizona. Even the small residue of the original buildings on the site that survived after 1950 possessed distinct historic value despite the loss of much of the original context. The various architectural styles represented, and especially the use of Mission Revival style for the principal buildings, gave the site particular interest for the cultural history of Phoenix and Arizona, as well as for Native American history in the Southwest.
U.S. Indian Service
Office Of Indian Affairs
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Phoenix, Arizona