Western Canal, South side of Salt River between Tempe, Phoenix & , Mesa, Maricopa County, AZ
Photo Caption Pages
Phoenix &, Mesa, AZ
Find maps of Mesa, AZ
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AZ-22
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Significance: The Western Canal expanded the irrigable acreage of the Salt River Project; constructed partly by the Reclamation Service and partly by the landowners to be served; supplied water to the Highline Pumping Plant and Canal.
Hill, Louis C.
Fitch, C. H.
U.S. Reclamation Service
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF THE WESTERN CANAL, NEAR 20TH STREET AND BASELINE ROAD IN PHOENIX Photographer: George Bonawit. April 15, 1953
2. VIEW OF THE TEMPE CANAL AS IT CROSSES THE WESTERN CANAL Photographer: Unknown. December 12, 1951
3. VIEW SHOWING THE WESTERN CANAL FLOWING UNDER THE TEMPE CANAL Photographer: Unknown. December 12, 1951
4. VIEW, LOOKING UPSTREAM, SHOWING WESTERN CANAL AT 48TH STREET IN PHOENIX Photographer: Unknown. December 5, 1949
5. VIEW, LOOKING DOWNSTREAM, SHOWING WESTERN CANAL AT 48TH STREET IN PHOENIX Photographer: Unknown. December 5, 1949
6. VIEW OF WESTERN CANAL AT 36TH STREET IN PHOENIX Photographer: Unknown. December 5, 1949
7. VIEW OF WESTERN CANAL AT 24TH STREET IN PHOENIX Photographer: Unknown. December 5, 1949
8. VIEW SHOWING DEMOSSING WITH A DRAGLINE ON THE WESTERN CANAL. THE WEEDS WERE LOOSENED UPSTREAM BY PULLING A CHAIN OR CABLE CROSSWAYS DOWN THE CANAL BED. THE LOOSENED WEEDS THEN FLOATED DOWN TO A GRATE, WHERE THEY ACCUMULATED INTO THE SOLID MASS WHICH WAS REMOVED BY DRAGLINE BUCKET. Photographer: Unknown. July 30, 1947
9. VIEW, LOOKING TOWARD THE WESTERN END OF THE SALT RIVER MOUNTAINS, SHOWING EXTENSION OF THE WESTERN CANAL Photographer: Unknown. July 2, 1926. View No. One
10. VIEW SHOWING EXTENSION OF THE WESTERN CANAL Photographer: Unknown. July 2, 1926. View No. Two
11. VIEW SHOWING THE HEAD OF THE WESTERN CANAL ON THE CONSOLIDATED CANAL, LOOKING WEST ACROSS THE CONSOLIDATED CANAL. AT THIS POINT, THE WESTERN CANAL IS A LITTLE LARGER THAN A LATERAL DITCH
12. VIEW OF WESTERN CANAL AT ALMA SCHOOL ROAD IN MESA, THE LOCATION AT WHICH THE PECK, PINE AND WALLACE FEEDERS FORMERLY JOINED TO FORM THE WESTERN CANAL. THE PECK AND PINE FEEDERS, NOW KNOWN AS LATERAL 9 AND LATERAL 10, AND ALMOST ENTIRELY PIPED, STILL JOIN THE WESTERN CANAL AT THIS POINT, BUT AN EQUALLY IMPORTANT SOURCE OF SUPPLY IS THE NUMEROUS GROUNDWATER PUMPS LOCATED ON THE SYSTEM.
13. VIEW OF WESTERN CANAL EAST OF CARRIAGE LANE IN TEMPE, SHOWING DROP STRUCTURE AND GROUNDWATER PUMP. THIS IS THE LAST OF FOUR PUMPS WHICH FEED DIRECTLY INTO THE CANAL BETWEEN ALMA SCHOOL ROAD AND PRICE ROAD. ON THIS DAY, ALL FOUR PUMPS, OPERATING AT FULL OUTPUT, HAVE CONSIDERABLY SWELLED THE FLOW TO THE CANAL. NOTE THE OLD FASHIONED BRICKWORK ON THE NORTH BANK.
14. VIEW OF WESTERN CANAL AT THE SALT RIVER PROJECT'S KYRENE STEAM POWER PLANT, TEMPE. THE WESTERN CANAL BEGINS TO TURN NORTH AT THIS POINT, AND DIVERTS WATER TO THE HIGHLINE PUMP PLANT AND THE KYRENE LATERAL. THE KYRENE PLANT INLET (LEFT-CENTER) ALSO DIVERTS CANAL WATER FOR PLANT OPERATION AND COOLING.
15. VIEW, LOOKING UPSTREAM, SHOWING WESTERN CANAL AT 48TH STREET
16. VIEW SHOWING LOWER END OF WESTERN CANAL (SECTION 6, T1N-R3E), LOOKING TOWARD SALT RIVER (SOUTH) MOUNTAINS
17. VIEW SHOWING FOOT OF WESTERN CANAL PROPER AT DOBBINS ROAD, NEAR 19TH AVENUE. TWO SMALL LATERALS PROCEED SOUTHWEST FROM THIS GATE TO SERVE THE LAVEEN AREA
18. HEADGATE AND SIPHON UNDER WORMSER CANAL--SAN FRANCISCO CROSSCUT December 22, 1911
19. CHECK, TURNOUT, SIPHON AND WEIR POOL, FOR DELIVERY FROM BASE LINE WASTE DITCH TO WORMSER CANAL AT NORTHEAST CORNER, SECTION 12, T1S-R4E June 20, 1921
20. CHECK, TURNOUT, SIPHON AND METERING EQUIPMENT FOR DELIVERY FROM BASE LINE WASTE DITCH TO KYRENE DITCH AT EAST 1/4 CORNER, SECTION 12, T1S-R4E July 7, 1921
21. SKETCH SHOWING COMPLETED STRUCTURES OF THE WESTERN CANAL DIVISIONS NO. 1 & 2 July 18, 1914
22. MAP SHOWING RIGHT-OF-WAY OF WESTERN CANAL DIVISION 4 February 8, 1913
Back to Mesa, Arizona