Dr. John C. Carter's Office & Springhouse, 118 West Johnson Avenue, Springdale, Washington County, AR
118 West Johnson Avenue, Springdale, AR
Find maps of Springdale, AR
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AR-45
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N199).
Building/structure dates: 1872 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1987 subsequent work
This structure was moved from White River near Sulphur City in 1987.
Significance: Records show that Dr. John C. Carter was a resident of Washington County Arkansas as early as 1852. In 1854, Dr. Carter went to California to seek his fortune only to return to Washington County in 1860; where upon, he took up residence in father's house. During these years, he was apprenticing as a physician. Dr. Carter purchased the property located in the east half of the northwest quarter, section 34, township 15 north, range 29 west, Washington County, Arkansas from A.M. Harris in 1871. There is some evidence that Dr. Carter contracted George W. Vanhoose to build the office and spring house in 1872 or as late as 1883. Tax records indicate substantial increases in these years. The office was constructed in a rural Greek Revival style and located adjacent to the middle fork of the White River on the west side of the road that ran from Sulphur City to Hazel Valley. The office was constructed on a stone foundation encompassing a small spring which emptied into the White River.
Conservation & Restoration
Vanhouse, George W.
Peterson, Jesse, Delineator
Tate, Barry, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Springdale, Arkansas