Illinois River Bridge, Spanning Illinois River at Benton County Road 3, Siloam Springs, Benton County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Illinois River at Benton County Road 3, Siloam Springs, AR
Find maps of Siloam Springs, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-28
Building/structure dates: 1922 initial construction
Significance: Completed in 1922, the Illinois River Bridge was designed by Daniel B. Luten, the owner of more than fifty patents on reinforced concrete arch bridges. This intact, 130-foot, two-span concrete bridge in northwest Arkansas is one of state's best examples of an early twentieth century reinforced concrete arch bridge.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Luten Bridge Company
Steen, Kathryn, Historian
Smith, Corinne, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF CONCRETE DECK ARCH BRIDGE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
2. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
3. ELEVATION VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING NORTHWEST
4. VIEW OF UNDERSIDE OF ARCHES FROM DOWNSTREAM, LOOKING NORTHEAST
5. VIEW FROM UPSTREAM SHOWING TRIANGULAR-SHAPED PIER, LOOKING NORTHEAST
6. LOOKING SOUTHWEST, VIEW FROM BRIDGE DECK
7. LOOKING SOUTHWEST, VIEW FROM ROADBED WITH 4' RANGE POLE AT NORTHWEST SIDE OF BRIDGE RAILING
8. DETAIL VIEW OF BUILDER'S PLATE ON NORTHWEST SIDE OF BRIDGE AT CENTER OF SPAN OVER CENTER PIER WHICH READS 'DESIGNED AND BUILT BY LUTEN BRIDGE CO., KNOXVILLE, TENN., 1922'
9. DETAIL VIEW OF BRIDGE PLATE ON SOUTHEAST SIDE OF BRIDGE AT CENTER OF SPAN OVER CENTER PIER WHICH READS 'BRIDGE COMMISSION, JOE BEASLEY, COUNTY JUDGE, LON WILLIAMS, J.R. GAMBLE'
Back to Siloam Springs, Arkansas