Buffalo River Bridge, Spanning Buffalo River at State Highway 7, Pruitt, Newton County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Buffalo River at State Highway 7, Pruitt, AR
Find maps of Pruitt, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-23
Building/structure dates: 1931 initial construction
Significance: The bridge over the Buffalo River was erected by Luttjohann of Topeka, Kansas, a successful contractor in Arkansas. The bridge design was completed, following standard Highway Department bridge drawings, in only one day. The success of the structure, which may be considered to be the epitome of steel through truss principles, is undoubtedly due to the care of the contractor as much as it is due to the work of the State Highway Department.
Steel Truss Bridges
Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department
O'Reilly, Sean, Historian
Smith, Corinne, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF PENNSYLVANIA THROUGH TRUSS BRIDGE FROM ROADBED, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
2. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
3. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
4. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
5. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING NORTHWEST
6. VIEW OF BRIDGE CONCRETE PIER. LOOKING SOUTHWEST
7. VIEW FROM BRIDGE DECK, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
8. DETAIL VIEW OF BUILDER'S PLATE WHICH READS 'BUILT BY VIRGINIA BRIDGE AND IRON CO., ROANOKE, VA., 1931'
9. DETAIL VIEW OF DATEPLATE AT CONCRETE ENDPOST OF APPROACH
Back to Pruitt, Arkansas