Eight Mile Creek Bridge, Spanning Eight Mile Creek at U.S. Highway 49, Paragould, Greene County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Eight Mile Creek at U.S. Highway 49, Paragould, AR
Find maps of Paragould, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-17
Building/structure dates: 1929 initial construction
Significance: The Eight Mile Creek Bridge is an excellent example of a single-span pony Pratt steel truss bridge that historically was a very common bridge type in Arkansas. This bridge was constructed as part of a larger bridge improvement project that included sixteen bridges on the Paragould-Corning Road in Greene County from the Paragould city limits to the Clay County boundary, thirteen miles north. It clearly demonstrates the advancements made in steel truss design and engineering by the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department through the 1920s.
Steel Truss Bridges
Christian, C. S.
Miller's Garage & Construction Company
Swanda, Michael, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW, LOOKING WEST, SHOWING EAST ELEVATION.
2. 3/4 VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHEAST, SHOWING WEST ELEVATION (SCALE ROD IS MEASURED IN FEET).
3. 3/4 VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHEAST, SHOWING WEST ELEVATION.
4. VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING WEST ELEVATION AND WALKWAY.
5. GENERAL VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING SOUTH ELEVATION APPROACH SPAN.
6. VIEW, LOOKING SOUTH, SHOWING PIER.
7. 3/4 DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING U1 CONNECTION ON NORTH END OF WEST TRUSS.
8. DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING U1 CONNECTION ON NORTH END OF WEST TRUSS.
9. DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, SHOWING BEARING BLOCK AT NORTH END OF THE EAST TRUSS.
10. DETAIL VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE ON EAST SIDE OF SOUTH APPROACH WHICH STATES 'EIGHT MILE CREEK; MILLERS GARAGE & CONT. CO.; CONTRACTOR.; ARKANSAS; STATE HIGHWAY COMMISSION.; DWIGHT H. BLACKWOOD, CHAIRMAN.; C.S. CHRISTIAN, ENGINEER.; 1929.; BRIDGE NO.__'
Back to Paragould, Arkansas