Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Arkansas

>

Little Rock

>

Curran Hall, 615 East Capitol Street, Little Rock, Pulaski County, AR



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
615 East Capitol Street, Little Rock, AR

Find maps of Little Rock, AR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AR-36
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-5).
Building/structure dates: 1842 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1921 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1960 subsequent work
0.1986
Significance: Curran Hall, constructed in 1842-43, is a distinguished example of Greek Revival architecture. Historians believe noted architect Gideon Shyrock designed the house shortly after he planned the Old State Capitol Building and Trapnall Hall in Little Rock The house stands as one of the city's few surviving antebellum structures. The first owner, Colonel Ebenezer Walters, never occupied the house because of his young wife's untimely death. James Morre Curran, a young lawyer, purchased and lived in the house with his wife Sophia, who was the daughter of William Fulton, the last territorial governor of Arkansas and the state's first U.S. senator. After James Curran's death his wife married George Watkins who became a chief justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court. During the Civil War and for several years thereafter the house was not occupied. Later the colorful character Jacob Frolich purchased the residence. He served three terms as post-Reconstruction Secretary of State in Arkansas from 1879-1885. Because of the turbulent times, Frolich fortified Curran Hall and installed strategically located trap doors in the floor. The next owner was Mary Eliza Bell, the daughter of Wiliam E. Woodruff who was founder of the Arkansa Gazette newspaper. Her descendant, Mrs. Averell Tate, now resides in the house. Due to the outstanding architectural design, long history, and important persons associated with the structure, Curran Hall is recognized as a significant nineteenth-century landmark.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Houses
Domestic Life


Related Names
Shyrock, Gideon
Curran, James Morre
Watkins, George
Frolich, Jacob
Bell, Mary Eliza
Haney, David, Delineator
Jensen, John, Delineator
Yeoh, Judy S. I., Delineator
Wong, Kui Mew, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Little Rock, Arkansas