Johnson Mill, Johnson Road, Johnson, Washington County, AR
Johnson Road, Johnson, AR
Find maps of Johnson, AR
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AR-37
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-6).
Building/structure dates: 1865 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1925 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Significance: Johnson Mill, a two and a half story wood frame structure, one mile west of Johnson, Arkansas, is significant for having one of the longest periods of continuous operation of any mill in the state. Though seemingly unimportant today, the mill was probably the area's first industry and was an integral part of community life in the 19th century. The site was first recorded as "Truesdale's Mill" in 1836, though it may date as early as 1800 or before. This structure was burned completely in 1862 by retreating Confederates, to be rebuilt in 1865-1867 by J.Q. Johson and William Mayes. Johnson bought-out Mayes in 1880, giving the building its current name.
Johnson, J. Q.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Johnson, Arkansas