St. Louis - San Francisco Bridge, Spanning Spring River at U.S. Highway 62, Imboden, Lawrence County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Spring River at U.S. Highway 62, Imboden, AR
Find maps of Imboden, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-26
Building/structure dates: 1937 initial construction
Significance: Designed in 1936 and built in 1937 by C.F. Lytle of Sioux City, Iowa, the bridge at Imboden is an interesting example of State Highway Department bridge design in the later 1930s and may be compared with the bridge over the North Fork River. Both involve the economical steel deck truss with concrete deck, though the Imboden bridge uses three pony trusses where it spans the river.
Steel Truss Bridges
Lytle, C. F.
Arkansas State Highway & Transportation Department
O'Reilly, Sean, Historian
Smith, Corinne, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE FROM ROADBED, LOOKING NORTHEAST
2. GENERAL VIEW WITH 4' RANGE POLE AT SOUTHWEST CORNER OF APPROACH CONCRETE RAILING, LOOKING NORTHEAST
3. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
4. VIEW SHOWING DECK AND PONY TRUSSES, LOOKING NORTH
5. GENERAL VIEW SHOWING PONY TRUSSES, LOOKING NORTHWEST
6. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING EAST
7. LOOKING EAST, VIEW SHOWING PIERS FROM UNDERNEATH BRIDGE
8. DETAIL VIEW OF DECK TRUSS AND BEARING CONDITIONS AT PIER, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
9. DETAIL VIEW OF DATEPLATE AT DECORATIVE CONCRETE ENDPOST WHICH READS 'ST. LOUIS-SAN FRANCISCO OVERPASS, C.F. LYTLE, CONTRACTOR, ARKANSAS STATE HIGHWAY COMMISSION AND THE UNITED STATES BUREAU OF PUBLIC ROADS, 1936'
Back to Imboden, Arkansas