Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Arkansas

>

Hot Springs

>

Bathhouse Row & Grand Promedade, Central Avenue, between Reserve & Fountain Streets, Hot Springs, Garland County, AR



See 22 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB54201
View From Promenade Looking East, Fordyce Bathhouse Is In The Background

HB54202
General View Looking South From Promenade

HB54203
View From Promenade, Looking South

HB54204
View From Promenade, Looking North

HB54205
Detail Showing Rest Bench And Table At Promenade


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
between Reserve & Fountain Streets, Hot Springs, AR

Find maps of Hot Springs, AR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS AR-28
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
National Register Number: 74000275
Significance: Bathhouse Row comprises one of the few remaining examples of the picturesque health spas of the early twentieth century. The present bathhouses...are the second, and in some cases, third or fourth generation of bathing facilities in this location. The first bathhouse was believed to have been built about 1830. Prior to that time the indigenous Indian cultures had long made use of the springs. The present Bathhouse Row buildings date from about 1911 to 1935, with some later remodelings. Some are in a classic revival or Edwardian Style which began with the World's Fair of 1893 in Chicago. Most are in a style which California and Hollywood made popular in the early days of this century, called Spanish Revival. This style is characterized by exterior stucco, natural finish wood, and tile roofs. The eight bathhouses include the Superior, Hale, Maurice, Fordyce, Quapaw (Health Services, Inc.), Ozark, Buckstaff, and Lamar. The National Park Service Visitor Center is the latest building constructed along Bathhouse Row, and the only structure not facing Central Avenue. Built in 1938, it is in a style harmonious with the architecture of the bathhouses. The bathing industry prospered throughout the first half of this century because the waters were considered to be the cure for various ailments. Hot Springs and Bathhouse Row became a regional center for many sorts of therapy as well as an entertainment center. The buildings saw their peak of operations in 1946..." Following World War II, "(m)odern drugs began to supplant the importance of the therapeutic waters, however, and the bathing industry began a steady decline. ..." National Park status has been important to the preservation of Hot Springs Bathhouse Row.

Subjects
Bathing
Health Care
Bathhouses


Related Names
Mann & Stern
Kliwinski, Leonard, Field Team
McCall, Gregory, Field Team
McCormick, Brian, Field Team
Wininski, Daniel, Field Team
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Schlefer, Marion K., Historian
Peters, Michael, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW FROM PROMENADE LOOKING EAST, FORDYCE BATHHOUSE IS IN THE BACKGROUND
2. GENERAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTH FROM PROMENADE
3. VIEW FROM PROMENADE, LOOKING SOUTH
4. VIEW FROM PROMENADE, LOOKING NORTH
5. DETAIL SHOWING REST BENCH AND TABLE AT PROMENADE
BATHHOUSE ROW MEMORIAL COLUMN, BETWEEN THE MAURICE AND FORDYCE BATHHOUSES


Back to Hot Springs, Arkansas