Old Frisco Depot, 550 West Dickson, Fayetteville, Washington County, AR
550 West Dickson, Fayetteville, AR
Find maps of Fayetteville, AR
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AR-50
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N204).
Building/structure dates: 1897 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1925 subsequent work
Significance: The numbers nailed above the front door give the street address 550 West Dickson not well known as addresses go, but surely affixed to one of the most popular landmarks in Fayettevile, the Old Frisco Depot. Three depots have occupied the same location on Dickson Street. All were a central gathering place for local residents, visitors, and students over the years. When six passenger trains a day stopped to load and unload here, early on, trains provided the only link between what was a remote region and the world outside. Built in the Pueblo Revival/Mission style, the depot certainly stands out, with its stucco walls and belfry-like cornices. Apparently, this style was popular in the period, and is quite representative of other railroad buildings of the era, during which western and California tourism were the rage.
Gajda, Paul N., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fayetteville, Arkansas