Chi Omega Greek Theater, Dickson Street, Fayetteville, Washington County, AR
See 27 maps of this location
Dickson Street, Fayetteville, AR
Find maps of Fayetteville, AR
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AR-44
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N200).
Building/structure dates: 1930 initial construction
Significance: The Chi Omega Greek Theater on the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville is constructed as a gift to the university for commemorating the founding of Chi Omega at the university and as a memorial to the founders of the Chi Omega sorority. The contract for the construction of the Chi Omega Greek Theater began on February 5 by the Young-Bryan Construction Company of Fort Smith with a bid of $31,225. Bryan a special committee, the contract is awarded on February 5th, 1930. The Chi Omega Theater became a long-cherished reality on June 28th, 1930. It is the only structure of its kind in the United States of America. The Chi Omega Theater is almost a replica of a theater built in Greece by Dionysus over 2,400 years ago at the lower level of the Acropolis. The Chi Omega Theater is an imposing appearance in its natural setting. The Chi Omega Theater is located west of the university shops, and the back of the stage is north of Dickson Street and one hundred feet west of Buchannan Street. The back row of seats joins the curved street by entering the campus from Ozark Avenue at Dickson Street.
Young-Ryan Construction Company
Chi Omega Sorority
Duckery, Earnest, Delineator
Armstrong, Steve, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fayetteville, Arkansas