De Valls Bluff>
White River Bridge, Spanning White River at U.S. Highway 70, De Valls Bluff, Prairie County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning White River at U.S. Highway 70, De Valls Bluff, AR
Find maps of De Valls Bluff, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-21
Building/structure dates: 1924 initial construction
Significance: The vertical lift bridge at DeValls Bluff over the White River is one of only two such bridges in the state. It was designed in 1923 by the Missouri firm of Consultant Engineers, Harrington Howard and Ash, for the White River Bridge Company of Little Rock. Built by one of the more important bridge building companies, the Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Company, in 1924, it remains today as a tribute to its prime motivator Harry E. Bovay, an entrepreneur from Stuttgart, Prairie County.
Vertical Lift Bridges
Harrington, Howard & Ash
Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Company
White River Bridge Company
Bovay, Harry E.
O'Reilly, Sean, Historian
Smith, Corinne, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF PRATT VERTICAL LIFT TRUSS BRIDGE FROM APPROACH, LOOKING WEST
2. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING WEST
3. GENERAL VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING EAST
4. VIEW OF BRIDGE FROM ADJACENT RAILROAD BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTH
5. THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF BRIDGE, LIFT SPAN IN RAISED POSITION, LOOKING NORTHEAST
6. THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
7. VIEW OF UNDERNEATH OF LIFT SPAN AND PIER FROM FIXED SPAN, LOOKING WEST
8. VIEW OF TRUSS, COUNTERWEIGHT, AND ROAD DECK FROM FIXED SPAN, LOOKING EAST
9. VIEW SHOWING TRUSSES FROM DECK WITH 4' RANGE POLE AT SECOND VERTICAL POST ON SOUTH SIDE, LOOKING WEST
10. VIEW OF BRIDGE FROM DECK, LOOKING WEST
11. DETAIL VIEW OF BRIDGE DATEPLATE WHICH READS 'WHITE RIVER, PETERSON & EARNHART, CONTRACTOR, ARKANSAS STATE HIGHWAY COMMISSION, DWIGHT H. BLACKWOOD, CHAIRMAN, C.S. CHRISTIAN, ENGINEER, 1931'
Back to De Valls Bluff, Arkansas