Saline River Bridge, County Highway 365 across Saline River, Benton, Saline County, AR
Photo Caption Pages
County Highway 365 across Saline River, Benton, AR
Find maps of Benton, AR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AR-7
Building/structure dates: 1928 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1973 subsequent work
Significance: The Saline River Bridge is one of only ten unaltered, reinforced concrete, open-spandrel, deck arch bridges currently surviving in Arkansas. Constructed as part of a six bridge improvement project on the Benton-Malvern Road beginning two miles west of Benton, it reflects the AHTD's substantial influence in reinforced concrete bridge design and construction in Arkansas.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department
Garver, N. B.
Arkansas General Construction Company
Swanda, Michael, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING SOUTH ELEVATION AND SETTING.
2. VIEW, LOOKING NORTHWEST, SHOWING SOUTH ELEVATION AND SETTING.
3. VIEW, LOOKING NORTH, SHOWING SOUTH ELEVATION OF WEST APPROACH SPANS.
4. VIEW, LOOKING EAST, SHOWING ROADWAY OF WEST APPROACH (SCALE ROD IS MEASURED IN FEET.
5. VIEW, EAST ELEVATION LOOKING WEST, SHOWING EAST APPROACH AND BRIDGE COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE.
6. VIEW OF COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE, EAST APPROACH GUARDRAIL, WHICH STATES 'SALINE RIVER; ARK. GENERAL CONST. CO.; CONTRACTOR; ARKANSAS; STATE HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT; 1928, BRIDGE NO. __.'
Back to Benton, Arkansas