Union Station, Water Street, Montgomery, Montgomery County, AL
See 13 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
No images were found.
Water Street, Montgomery, AL
Find maps of Montgomery, AL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AL-2
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Significance: Montgomery's Union Station is an impressive Romanesque structure, and an excellent example of late nineteenth century commercial architecture. Its size, the ambitiousness of its design, and its opulence of materials make the Station an impressive monument to turn-of-the-century rail transport.
Smith, Benjamin Bosworth
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. INTERIOR VIEW LOOKING NORTH
2. BAGGAGE STATION, SOUTHEAST ELEVATION
3. RAILWAY EXPRESS STATION, SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST ELEVATIONS
4. INTERIOR VIEW SHOWING NORTHWEST ENTRANCE
5. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, VIEW FROM NORTHEAST
6. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, VIEW FROM SOUTH
7. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION
8. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, VIEW FROM EAST
9. Photocopy of photograph (no data) in collection of Alabama Archives and Historical Commission. SOUTHEAST ELEVATION, VIEW FROM SOUTH
10. Photocopy of original Architect's Drawing (1896) owned by the State of Alabama. STREET ELEVATION AND FIRST FLOOR PLAN
Back to Montgomery, Alabama