Norris Steam Restoration Shop, Norris Yards, east of Ruffner Road, Irondale, Jefferson County, AL
See 12 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
east of Ruffner Road, Irondale, AL
Find maps of Irondale, AL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AL-40
Significance: The site contains switching yards, towers and the steam restoration shop. Norfolk Southern owns a 1943 Norfolk & Western No. 1218 steam locomotive; a 1943 Chesapeake & Ohio NO. 2716 locomotive and leases a 1950 Norfolk & Western No. 611 engine. These are maintained in the shop and leased for rides across the South. In 1952 Southern Railway (now Norfolk Southern) constructed one of the first automatic switching yards in the South, naming it for Ernest Norris, a former president of Southern Railway. The yard is still in active use and includes one of only two Class A Steam Engine Restoration Shops in the nation.
Conservation & Restoration
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR VIEW, TEN INCH WHEEL LATHE, MADE BY NILE TOOL WORKS CO., HAMILTON, OHIO, 1949.
2. EXTERIOR VIEW, QUARTERING MACHINE, MADE BY NILE TOOL WORKS, HAMILTON, OHIO, 1949.
Back to Irondale, Alabama