Central Iron Foundry, 1700 Holt Road, Holt, Tuscaloosa County, AL
Photo Caption Pages
1700 Holt Road, Holt, AL
Find maps of Holt, AL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER AL-82
Significance: While information about the Central Coal and Iron Foundry site is limited, this site appears historically significant for three reasons. Central Iron was once the largest soil pipe plant in the United States. It was also the first fully integrated pipemaking operation in the United States with a coke plant, blast furnaces, and foundry located on the same site. The still operating coke plant is potentially National Register eligible. Since the foundry was shut down before the federally mandated changes of the 1970s and 1980s, a comprehensive inventory of the foundry portion of the site could reveal that significant early features of the plant are still intact.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR VIEW, LOOKING SOUTHWEST TOWARD WARRIOR RIVER WITH BARGE SLIP.
2. EXTERIOR VIEW, LOOKING NORTHEAST, WITH SLAB YARD. AT RIGHT IS HOT STRIP MILL BUILDING AND FURNACE. VIEW AT LEFT IS TOWARD CUT TO LENGTH BUILDING.
3. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING NORTHWEST.
4. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING WEST.
5. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING WEST.
6. AERIAL VIEW TUSCALOOSA STEEL.
7. AERIAL VIEW CENTRAL FOUNDRY LEFT BACKGROUND, TUSCALOOSA STEEL & BARGE SLIP MIDDLE GROUND.
8. AERIAL VIEW CENTRAL FOUNDRY.
Back to Holt, Alabama