Josiah Haigler Plantation House, County Highway 37 North of U.S. Highway 80, Burkville, Lowndes County, AL
Photo Caption Pages
County Highway 37 North of U.S. Highway 80, Burkville vicinity, AL
Find maps of Burkville, AL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS AL-884
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-71).
Building/structure dates: 1841 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1860 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1870 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1963
Significance: The Josiah Haigler house is a large ante-bellum plantation house constructed in northeast Lowndes County. The Haigler family were prominent planters and the house and site are significant examples of the historical and architectural development of the area. The house remains intact despite years of vacancy.
Graves, Y. W.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Context view, Northeast side
2. Context view, northeast side, overgrown
3. Context view, northwest side
4. Context view, southwest side
5. Context view, southeast side
13. View of main section, south side
14. 45 [degree] detail of porch
15. Main hall, north end
16. Main hall, south end
17. Chimney on southwest wing, view from southeast
18. Chimney top on main house, west end, view from the southeast
19. Detail of chimney bottom, east end
20. Detail of foundation
21. Fireplace and window detail
22. Shutter and window detail
Back to Burkville vicinity, Alabama